Sunday, April 15, 2007

Getting to know people


Getting to know people can be a delicate process and sometimes an amusing process. Like this guy in the photo. It took me a while to figure out what his issues were. He's mostly harmless. It is pretty tough to crack into some peoples spaces or crack into comfort zones. Of course most people that know me realize that Tathie and I have some some farly extensive study on the art of dealing with people. The people that are really close to us know where we gained some of that precious knowledge. What brought this to mind at this particular time was the fact that I have started dealing with some new people at New Spring Church. I have started running the sound for a couple of the kid's classes. This has been kind of a change of pace. I have been trying to serve where there is a need. Running the sound is not exactly a mental or physical challenge but there is a need for someone to serve in this area of ministry. Tathie and I know that this is not all GOD have for us but it is a start. Of course it is not about us. I love and support New Springs philosophy on sowing whatever resources it takes into our children's lives. If Disney and Nickelodeon are going to sow into our children why should we hold back. It doesn't take much to see some of the junk that these shows are sowing. Some of the stuff I have seen on these stations is certainly not what I want pass onto my kids as acceptable. I feel that we only have one opportunity not to screw our kids up. I think that we should financially spend all that it takes to steer our kids in the proper direction.

That's enough of my rant. I started off talking about getting to know people. I have been trying to get to know some people on the drama team but some of these people have been hard to figure out. One of ladies on the team is so quiet that I am certain it has been a stretch for her to even talk in front of the kids much less act in front of the kids. I have been in the class running the sound for approximately three weeks and no one had even spoken to me. For a minute I thought it may be. Finally realizing that no one was going to take the first step, I got every one's full name, SSN, DOB and blood type. Ha Ha. I figured this to be a start. Just kidding, I have learned some names and people have started to warm up a little.

No comments: